How To Become A Master of Your Mind: Tom Bilyeu, Co-Founder of Quest Nutrition & Founder of Impact Theory
Tom Bilyeu is the co-founder of 2014 Inc. 500 company Quest Nutrition — a unicorn startup valued at over $1 billion — and the co-founder and host of Impact Theory. Tom’s mission is the creation of empowering media-based IP and the acceleration of mission-based businesses. Personally driven to help people develop the skills they will need to improve themselves and the world, Tom is intent to use commerce to address the dual pandemics of physical and mental malnourishment.
Tom regularly inspires audiences of entrepreneurs, change makers, and thought leaders at some of the most prestigious conferences and seminars around the world, including Abundance 360, A-fest, and Freedom Fast Lane. Tom has also been a guest on the Tony Robbins podcast and The School of Greatness podcast and has been featured in Forbes, Inc., Success, and The Huffington Post. Tom is currently on the Innovation Board of the XPRIZE Foundation.
Listen to Episode 098 as Tom Uncovers
- Tom's experience working for a corporate business, what he learned from it, and how it motivated him to become an entrepreneur.
- The story behind why Tom started Impact Theory and the mission behind it.
- The beginning of Quest Nutrition and how the brand grew to address health and wellness issues.
- Where Tom's insatiable curiosity comes from and how we can allow our own excitement to grow as well.
- The pros and cons of creating something that we want to share with the world when we focus on becoming a champion in our field.
- How to become aware of our negative thoughts and ultimately change our habitual methods of thinking.
- Using language to reinforce mentality and values.
- Learn how to go from a fixed, negative mindset to to a more flexible, positive one.
- How Tom stopped comparing himself to others and got rid of negative thoughts about himself.
- When Tom began to see himself as a radical learner.
- Discovering our inner compass to understand our vulnerability and ourselves better.
- Understanding that we're not born with instincts. We train our instincts by learning from our mistakes.
- Tom's view on Law of Attraction: It helps improve our emotions, but won't give us want we want. We have to work for want we want by improving our skill set.
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Discover what makes you excited and allow that feeling to grow on its own. Let an idea capture your attention and focus on it.
- To understand habitual negative thinking, we need to learn how the brain works and why we make these thought connections. In order to mentally grow and get rid of old software, we can build one skill after another to improve our mindset.
- We can learn to become antifragile to negative thoughts. We can end negative thinking about ourselves by not fighting it, but by learning and growing from our life experiences. If you attack negative thoughts, they will only grow stronger.
Power Quotes From Tom
"Once you realize that you can do anything that you set your mind to, how you spend your time becomes a spiritual consideration." - Tom Bilyeu
"Wellness is really a 360 degree endeavor. It's not just the body, it's the mind as well." - Tom Bilyeu on wellness
"By letting an idea capture your attention, really focusing on it, going deep, and asking how is this usable and then putting it to use in your life and taking those steps to act on the things that you learn; you get a sense of this self reinforcing cycle." - Tom Bilyeu on how we can get excited about an idea.
"Stop worrying about being a champion and start worrying about becoming capable of the championship performance. Because that's totally different. That's about grinding it out and earning skills through hard work, actually becoming good, and becoming capable of the extraordinary." - Tom Bilyeu on how acquiring a skill set can make us unstoppable
"The big breakthrough in my life was the day I stopped thinking of myself as smart because I wasn't and I started thinking of myself as a learner." - Tom Bilyeu on how he defeated negative thinking and stopped comparing himself to other people.
"We are wired to support the tribe. We are wired to support other people and this will give us fulfillment and purpose. There is nothing more pleasurable from a neurochemical standpoint than that." - Tom Bilyeu on the power of helping each other become better.
[tweetthis]"Wellness is really a 360 degree endeavor. It's not just the body, it's the mind as well." - @TomBilyeu of @impact_theory on wellness[/tweetthis]
Resources Mentioned by Tom & Josh
- Quest Nutrition official website
- Impact Theory official website
- Tune into WFR episode no. 055 with Katie & Gay Hendricks: Body Intelligence in a Modern World
- Listen to Impact Theory's episode with Tim Ferriss
- Check out Impact Theory's episode with Michael Strahan
- Tune in to Tom's interview with Nir Eyal: Behavioral Design Theorist on Addictive Behaviors - Nir Eyal on Inside Quest
- Listen to WFR Episode no. 048 with Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Watch Tom's video: Red Pill Theory: Chasing the Future at CES 2017
- Watch Lewis Howes' interview with Tom Bilyeu: Creating a Passion-Driven Business and Life
- Listen to episdoe 201 of Lewis Howes podcast: How to Be a Jedi and Master The Mind with Tom Bilyeu of Quest Nutrition
- Listen to the I Love Marketing podcast episode no. 248 with Tom Bilyeu: How to build your reputation quicker by being an authentic, value-creating marketer
- Watch the video with Jason Silva: Why Do We Fear Our Own Greatness?
- Tony Robbins on How to Train Your Emotions
- Read Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Check out Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Read Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
- Learn more about The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
- Watch the official trailer for Finding Joe
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how these episodes can allow you to break bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Want to avoid more trips to the store and save hundreds of dollars a year on superfood supplements?
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order - just enter promo code "wellnessforce" at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Download Your Free Wellness Technology Guide: wellnessforce.com/radio
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
I do the same thing for the people, things, and movements I care about as well.
PS: Looks like you and I share the same passion. I'm grateful for you and want to extend you my email address.
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.