Apr 11, 2017
How can understanding
the secret biological and emotional connections hidden
deep inside our fat
help us let go of
old weight, discover individual wellness, and rekindle a
trusted relationship with our body?
On this episode of Wellness Force
Radio, biochemist and author of
The Secret Life of Fat, Dr. Sylvia Tara teaches us
why fat is such a complex endocrine organ that can control our
minds and how we can use that knowledge to our advantage for weight
loss and more energy.
FACEBOOK GROUP | REVIEW THIS PODCAST
Our Individual Connection With
There is no one-size fits-all
weight loss plan because our age, gender, genetics, as well as
bacteria and viruses all play a role.
Forget everything that you thought you
knew about fat and discover how you can create an individual
approach to losing weight and loving the skin you're in.
Listen To Episode 107 As Dr.
- Why Dr. Tara wrote, The Secret Life of Fat, as
an educational tool for us to use.
- What is fat? Why is it so easy for some people to lose weight
and difficult for others?
- Why do we shame
ourselves for our weight? When did we start judging our
- What changed society from bracing fat to fearing it?
- Dr. Tara and Josh share their fat loss stories and what has
helped guide them to embracing their bodies.
- Why fat is so amazing and how it connects with our bodies,
- The analogy of money and fat in
the body: glucose is cash, glycogen is a checking account, and fat
is a certificate of deposit.
- What is
leptin and how does fat regulate it? How does it affect our
- What are the daily habits we can make to ensure that we
continue to keep the weight off?
- Why we should keep in mind different hormones to keep off
weight: insulin, ghrelin, and leptin.
- How intermittent fasting has helped Dr. Tara keep off her
- As we age, other fat burning
hormones such as estrogen and testosterone begin to
- What do sumo wrestlers eat and what happens to their metabolism
when they retire?
- The difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat.
- What can allow us to release adiponectin so we have fat
stored as subcutaneous versus mesentery or visceral fat: cardio,
HIIT, working out at night vs. the morning.
- How genetics, age, gender, viruses and bacteria all have
different roles that play into how much fat we store.
- Why women are predisposed to pack on more fat than men because
of their biology and hormone levels.
- Dr. Tara's tips to staying on your nutrition and exercise
- Why we feel like a failure if we skip a day in our plan because
of dichotomous thinking.
- Don't fall into a shame spiral. Take a break from your diet if
you need and get recharged to get back on it again.
- Why sleep is so good to help our hormone levels and elevate our
- The most fascinating fact that Dr. Tara learned during her
research: that fat can control our
mind. It controls our appetite and how affects how we think
- What leptin replacement therapy is and how it could be used to
help people control their weight.
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- If you're a woman, don't let the thin female models on the
covers of magazines send you into a shame spiral. Women are
naturally predisposed to pack on more fat than men because they are
meant to store their fat for energy. Also, when women workout, they
release more of the gherkin hormone which is why they're hungrier
than men afterwards. It's not a bad thing that women store more fat
and have hunger cravings after hitting the gym, it's completely
- How much fat each person stores is completely unique to them
because there are so many factors to consider (age, genetics,
bacteria, gender). To approach weight loss, we need to create an
individualized plan for ourselves. Know which foods help or
hurt your weight loss goal and which type of workout benefits your
body that most. Don't limit yourself to eating you favorite foods;
just try to stick to your plan. Create a plan that works for your
body, mind, and schedule.
- Don't be upset with yourself if you fall off your nutrition and
exercise path one day. We're only human and taking a break is okay.
We need time to recharge our batteries and get motivated to eat
healthy and workout again.
Power Quotes From Dr. Sylvia
[tweetthis] "We don't all lose weight the same
way. You have to find a diet that just works just for you. " -
- "The Secret Life of Fat is about having a better idea
of what fat actually is and to stop believing in all of these myths
about fat loss." - Dr. Sylvia Tara
- "Once I learned about fat and what it does with our bodies, it
was actually really empowering. Fat has so many tricks to stay on
our bodies and it can do amazing things. It's an endocrine organ so
it can release hormones into our blood stream that can affect our
behaviour, our appetite, and our metabolism." - Dr. Sylvia
Tara on the power of fat.
- "We don't all lose weight the same way and that's why it's so
important to tailor a diet that works for yourself." - Dr.
- "When you've lost weight and you're feeling less satiated and
more hungry, just remember that your body and its leptin levels are
driving you to get that fat back on your body. It takes a lot of
drive and determination to not give into cravings. This feeling can
even last for years and it's important to have that inner drive to
keep off the weight." - Dr. Sylvia Tara
- "People think that sloth and gluttony are the only reasons why
people gain on weight. However, genetics, age, gender, as well as
viruses and bacteria all have a role in how much fat we actually
store." - Dr. Sylvia Tara on how we actually store fat vs.
how we used to think we store fat.
- "If we feel uncertainty in our daily lives, whether over a
medical test, job offer, or family situation, the lingering doubt
depletes our willpower. Starting a weight management plan during
such a time of uncertainty makes it more difficult to persevere. If
it is possible to ease the stress in your life before starting a
serious attempt to change your lifestyle do so. Successful weight
management requires the ability to take challenges in stride and
maintain your diet and exercise plan." - Dr. Sylvia Tara on
how to set up the mind so we can focus on losing
- "Once you get on a shame spiral, it's hard to get off of it.
Not only will dichotomous thinking affect your diet plan, but other
factors of your life as well. People with dichotomous thinking tend
to have more depression, more eating disorders, and a lot more
unhappiness in their lives." - Dr. Syliva Tara on how
dichotomous thinking can negatively affect our minds and
- "Dieting is hard. It's a long-term commitment and you have to
fight a lot of urges to stay on it. However the rewards are good.
It might be hard to go through and stay on a diet for awhile, but
you also get a lot of rewards. You gain a control of your life, can
buy clothes at the size you want to be, and so many other benefits.
Choose to follow a diet when the timing is right for you and the
commitment will be worth it. " - Dr. Sylvia Tara on her own
difficulties with staying on a diet.
- "Anger is a very strong emotion. What helped fuel me through
this wellness transformation was my anger and vengeance towards my
fat. Use your negative emotions and direct them in a way that you
will win in the end." - Dr. Sylvia Tara on how we can use
our anger and other negative emotions to fuel our motivation to
About Dr. Sylvia Tara
Sylvia Tara holds a Ph.D. in
biochemistry from The University of California, San Diego and an
MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
She was a healthcare management
consultant with McKinsey & Company, and has worked for the
world’s largest biotechnology companies.
After an extended battle with fat, Dr.
Tara became fascinated with its resiliency and embarked on a
mission to better understand it. This book is the culmination of
years of research and interviews with physicians, patients and
leading scientists. The Secret Life of Fat will forever
change how you think about this misunderstood organ.
Resources Mentioned by Dr.
Tara & Josh
[tweetthis]"When we're losing fat,
we're actually remodeling your body's tissues and that's not an
easy process." - @SylviaTaraPhD[/tweetthis]
Get More Wellness In Your
Support This Podcast
Josh here. Listen, I
deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be
heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better
based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how
these episodes can allow you to break bad
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Want to avoid more trips to the store and save
hundreds of dollars a year on superfood supplements?
to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to
get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for
a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire
order - just
enter promo code
Ask A Live Question For The Next
here to leave a
voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the
You May Also Like These
Get More Wellness In Your Life
read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
me and let me
know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your