Nov 30, 2021
When we start to look at masculinity, even in its essence, it's
subjective to us. When we talk about men being masculine and
embodying masculinity - what does that really mean? In my personal
opinion, I think that means to find what it is that resonates with
you in your heart and in your soul and then be that man every day.
Be that man in every moment. - Johnny Elsasser
Are You Stressed Out
Take a deep breath with the M21™ wellness guide: a simple yet
powerful 21 minute morning system that melts stress and gives you
more energy through 6 science-backed practices and breathwork.
to download for free.
Is Your Energy
Get more superfoods to improve your energy, digestion, gut
health plus also reduce inflammation and blood sugar. Click
HERE to try Paleovalley's Apple Cider Vinegar
Complex + Save 15% with the code 'JOSH'
*Review The WF Podcast & WIN $150 in
*Join The Facebook Group
Wellness Force Radio Episode 424
Former Special Operations U.S. Army Ranger, Host of The Art of Masculinity Podcast,
and Creator of both The SAVAGE System and The Wild Man Experience, Johnny Elsasser, teaches how to move through trauma,
what it means to be a balanced masculine and feminine man, the
myths and truths of masculinity, and the true price of freedom and
why we're spending our currency of attention on things that hurt us
without realizing it.
When you hear the word, "masculinity," what comes up for
This episode will give you some incredible intelligence to help you answer this question
and so much more.
Seeking Health Supplements
designs high-quality, scientifically-formulated supplements for
people wanting to optimize their health. The root cause for many
health conditions and symptoms stems from ineffective digestion and
poor diet, along with other issues like environmental exposures,
sleep issues and even a lack of community.
Supporting you to optimize your digestion, reduce environmental
exposure and toxic burden, and optimize your diet so nutrients can
flood in, is our path to increasing energy and helping your immune
system and overall health.
If you support your body’s built-in systems, especially
digestion and mental health, with pure, highly absorbable,
well-formulated nutrients, your ability to remain healthy and happy
significantly increases. Seeking Health wants your foundation
rock-solid, and they provide the tools to help you make it so.
Save 10% off all orders: Use discount coupon code
“JOSH” at checkout
Listen To Episode 424 As Johnny Elsasser Uncovers:
[1:30] Exploring Masculinity with Johnny
- Johnny Elsasser
- The Art of Masculinity
- The SAVAGE System
- The Wild Man Experience
- What sparked Johnny to create the Wild Man Experience and what
participants can expect from it.
- How men like Josh's grandfather have really suffered to have
freedom in their lives.
- The comradery we can have with one another through shared
experiences of suffering.
- All the preparation including emotional prep that went into
creating the Wild Man Experience.
- What makes Johnny feel called to be the catalyst that brings
men together in the community.
- Breaking down what true shared vulnerability is compared to
- How Johnny's uncle was an incredible role model for him growing
- What led Johnny to different experiences from living in a tent
in his aunt and uncle's backyard to joining the military.
- Experiences Johnny and his siblings went through after his
- Why Johnny didn't feel like he belonged anywhere at 14 years
old and it stopped him from connecting with friends at school.
[20:30] How to Move Through Trauma
- How being present helped Johnny deal with the trauma of his parents splitting
up and being on his own.
- Why Johnny feels like his soul is older than his physical
body's age; especially based on how he saw his parent's
- The power of shifting our mindset from "this is happening to me"
to "this is happening for me."
- Why Johnny doesn't tap into past memories or emotions unless
someone is talking to him about it.
- Johnny's experience in the military and how humor was used to
help downplay the seriousness and fear of working in special
- What Johnny and fellow special operations agents do to shift
their mindsets so that they are not held down by traumatic events as much as
[30:00] How Much Freedom Costs Us
- Why we need a re-education of what freedom really is and how
much it costs.
- The importance of being grateful for the freedoms that we do have in the
USA compared to other countries.
- America's impact on the rest of the world when we're doing well
and also when there is havoc happening within our borders.
- 353 Dr. Ben Lynch
- 344 Leslie Manookian
- The control US politicians have over citizens during the
"plandemic" and how taking away our freedom of interacting with
each other by staying apart 6 feet is abusing our energetic fields.
- How we're spending our currency of attention on things that are
hurting us like the news and social media scrolling.
- Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA,
and the Secret History of the Sixties by Tom O'Neill
[37:50] The Myths & Truths of Masculinity
- The key difference between masculine and feminine energy: completion
energy vs nuturing energy.
- Johnny's definition of what it means to be an embodied masculine man in this
- Why masculinity is subjective from culture to culture.
- Myths and truths of masculinity and the biggest factor for
- Why the masculine self doesn't have to be angry and stone-cold all the time and why we've been
- The courage men can have now as adults to explore the lessons
they either didn't receive or let go of what is not authentic to
- Garrett J. White
- Why embodied men have to be able to let everything burn to the
ground and start anew.
[47:00] Coming Back After Hitting Rock Bottom
- How Johnny had to start over after coming home from the
military which led him to his second wife, Taylor.
- Why Johnny used to believe that if you were doing self-development, then that made
you weak and how that all changed for him as he began to do the
- How he used to judge and expect a higher
standard of men from this place of control and considered himself a
superior alpha male to them.
- Why Johnny felt disconnected from his first wife when
he came back to the USA.
- The fact that Johnny used to be a big sports fan watching
football games all the time but now he reconsiders how his time
could be better spent improving himself or his relationship with
- How his past actions weren't serving himself to be better as
they set him up for bad routines and mindsets.
- The psychological downward spiral he went on as his marriage
dissolved after he came home from overseas.
- Johnny's past relationship with alcohol and the lack of
self-love he felt for himself in
- The healing journey he went on after hitting rock bottom and
why the first thing he did was find his purpose and passion again in fitness
- Excuses Begone! by Dr.
Wayne W. Dyer
- How Taylor became more present in his life as he began to heal
and helped introduce him to self-development tools including this
- 410 Mark Divine
- Lewis Howes
[1:01:00] Johnny's Self Development Journey & Embodying
- The incredible sensations and mindset shifts Johnny felt when
he began to dive deeper into self-development.
- Moments of stress and anxiety as he struggled to move
past his old ways and patterns of thinking about the masculine
- Why he refused to reach out for help at first and the relief he
felt when he finally let that guard down.
- Chris Harder
- The incredible impact and help he has received from other men
who have also gone on the same journey and have the same questions
or thoughts about the self and masculinity.
- Struggles Johnny faced with setting up his podcast and the
guidance that Josh gave him to get started with it.
- Why running a successful podcast is actually a full-time
- Josh's own experience of not being willing to reach out for
help to prove to the world and his father that he could be
successful on his own.
- The fact that no one gets anywhere without help from others and
why it's not easy for men to understand or accept this.
- Why it was hard for Johnny to celebrate the wins or think that
he couldn't achieve something great again even with the success and recognition he has
earned for his podcast and program.
- Johnny's morning
ritual to set his mind up to not allow the dark "Jiminy Cricket
thoughts" to pop up.
[1:09:30] Healing with Mother Ayahuasca
- Carl Jung
- Why Johnny decided to take part in an Ayahuasca healing ceremony when
his wife, Taylor, felt called to do it for her birthday.
- Concerns, thoughts, and questions Johnny had about plant medicine and what he would
experience in Peru.
- Why Johny felt more scared for himself and how he would react
during the ceremony than the plant medicine itself.
- Josh's thoughts on the phrase, "I just feel called to the plant
medicine," and the importance of doing the work beforehand with
- 209 Jamie Wheal
- Why you should do a deeper inventory if you feel more
excited than cautious to try plant medicine for yourself.
- The importance of pausing and integrating the wisdom you've
received from the plant medicine ceremony before jumping right into
the next one.
- What Johnny learned from his Ayahuasca experience and how he's
using that wisdom now.
- How Josh introduced Johnny to the psychedelic, bufo, and how that
helped him do some deep ancestral healing.
- What Johnny is doing now to build greater respect for both his
internal and external body.
- 384 Shawn Stevenson
- How the food and beverages we consume impact not just the body
but our mind and emotions too.
- What helps Johnny stay in check with the integrity he has with
[1:21:00] Masculinity and the Collective Shadow Self
- Ram Dass
- Why we all have this collective dark, shadow self that keeps us down by
telling us we're not fit enough, we're not good enough, we're not
gonna make enough money and so on.
- The importance of being vigilant of whom we spend time with so
that we do not absorb their negative thoughts and energy.
- Exploring the concept of purging for others and clearing the
energy of others through another
- The huge energetic output that came from New York City after
September 11 that has been studied by NASA.
- Breaking down how a collective release can help energetically
heal other people.
- Insecurities around trauma and comparing his own to what other
people have gone through.
- Why we cannot judge people for their trauma and what they're
working on in their wellness journey.
- Exploring why men are so hungry for practical spirituality.
- How helping other people actually helps us grow.
[1:33:00] Practical Self-Development Tools for Men
- What self-development practices Johnny does
on a daily basis that have really helped move the needle for
- The power of keeping this simple and having a solid foundation
to help you start your wellness journey.
- Why Johnny keeps a journal to help him get out all of the
voices and thoughts in his head that are
holding him back.
- Previous fears Johnny had about journaling out his thoughts and
why it has become such a liberating practice for him.
- How Johnny integrates his physical intelligence into
becoming a higher version of himself.
- Johnny's experience starting a simple breathwork practice before going
to an event and how that's been so vital for him to reduce stress
- The power of just doing an easy meditation or breathwork
practice every day.
- What a "threshold practice" is and how it helps to check in
with yourself and see how you're showing up with your energy.
- Gentle methods of helping your significant other be more open
to self-development like putting on a podcast in the background or
suggesting a book.
- The benefits of getting curious about our triggers rather than letting
negative emotions control our thoughts and behaviors.
Power Quotes From The Show
Letting Go of Our Anger
carrying around this level of anger and judgment because they're
taught that men are really supposed to be like that. They're taught
this version of masculinity that if you're someone like a mechanic
and you're grinding every day then it's okay to come home, have a
beer, not talk to your family, and to be angry when someone wants
something from you. Men like that are taught that it's okay to be
resentful and put themselves above other men when they don't meet
their standards. We still have men today that are promoting that
way of being but how is that serving you, the community, or the
betterment of the next generation if you're still stifling all of
these things that are coming up with you and your only exposure to
it is through anger in your actions and words?" - Johnny
What It Means To Embody Masculinity
embodiment of masculinity in my eyes is finding and tapping into
both the masculine and feminine to balance them out and so that
you're aligned with who you are and you're also teaching the next
generation of men what it looks like to really embrace both sides
of the fence. An embodied man is somebody who can sit here, be with
himself and his demons but not project them, not be a victim, and
not let his anger wound others." - Johnny
The Mirror of Truth
all of the material things in your life; strip away the people you
love from your life and what do you look like? If you aren't happy
with that person, then how are you well? How do you treat yourself
psychologically - what do you say to yourself in those moments when
you're alone? How do you treat yourself when you have a success in
your life? Do you celebrate anything? Do you give yourself grace
when you falter? If you can't look in the mirror and say, "I love
that man," or "I love that woman staring back at me," then I don't
feel like you've hit that complete wellness for who you are. I just
want people to be themselves in this world because in all reality,
nothing outside of ourselves means anything if we aren't well and
we aren't centered in who we are each day." - Johnny
Links From Today's
About Johnny Elsasser
Johnny Elsasser is a former Special Operations U.S.
Army Ranger with four combat tours between Iraq and Afghanistan and
another 5 years protecting the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq in Baghdad.
Johnny has seen the field of masculinity through extreme alpha
perspectives and knows the trials and tribulations all men, to
include the toughest men, deal with in society today. Johnny’s
mission is to help men find strength in developing their authentic
masculinity to be consistent with who they are and not what society
expects them to be. Johnny has shifted his fight to advocating and
supporting men in finding their own masculine blueprint and
cultivating their purpose as positive men in this world today.